Barca not considering swoop for Neymar, says vice-president
Barcelona have no plans to re-sign Neymar from Paris St Germain, the club’s vice-president Jordi Cardoner said on Friday, knocking down media reports the La Liga champions were ready to tempt the Brazilian forward back to the Nou Camp.Neymar won two La Liga titles and the 2015 Champions League in four years with Barca and formed a lethal partnership with Luis Suarez and Lionel Messi, departing in July 2017 after the Paris giants exercised his release clause.“No-one on the Barca board has talked about the possibility of bringing back Neymar, right now we can’t give an answer because no-one has even mentioned it,” Cardoner told radio station SER Catalunya on Friday.Neymar, 26, helped lead PSG to a domestic treble this year although his first season in France was tarnished by a public dispute with team mate Edinson Cavani over taking penalties and a foot injury sustained in March which forced him out for the rest of the campaign.Spanish newspaper Mundo Deportivo said in a front-page story on Wednesday that the player has told Barca he wants to return after becoming disillusioned with life in Paris.“He was the one who left, it would be different if we hadn’t believed him and now we wanted to bring him back, but that’s not the case,” Cardoner added.“If we did want to sign him then the board would have to discuss it but until now no-one has talked about it.”
UST gets back at FEU in straight sets
LATEST STORIES P260,000 each in aid to displaced Marawi folk released by US Comelec assures no disruption in operations with retirement of execs Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Duterte says he will appoint Gamboa as next PNP chief Dustin Poirier bloodies Max Holloway, wins unanimous decision for interim lightweight title View comments Phivolcs: Slim probability of Taal Volcano caldera eruption Tim Cone still willing to coach Gilas but admits decision won’t be ‘simple yes or no’ UST Golden Tigresses. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netMANILA, Philippines—University of Santo Tomas exacted revenge over Far Eastern University, 25-23, 25-18, 25-23, Sunday night and quickly put its crosshairs on the twice-to-beat incentive in the UAAP Season 81 women’s volleyball Final Four at Mall of Asia Arena.Already in the semifinals after University of the Philippines’ elimination earlier, the Tigresses didn’t letup in thrashing the Lady Tamaraws and slaying the ghost of their first-round defeat.ADVERTISEMENT MOST READ Will you be the first P16 Billion Powerball jackpot winner from the Philippines? ‘Duterte legacy:’ Gov’t boasts achievements so far UST upped its record to 9-4 just a half-game behind second-running La Salle, which will be FEU’s next assignment.FEU also safely reached the semifinals after National University’s five-set win over UP in the first game.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGolden State Warriors sign Lee to multiyear contract, bring back ChrissSPORTSCoronation night?SPORTSThirdy Ravena gets offers from Asia, Australian ball clubsUST lost to FEU in the first round in a match that saw the Tigresses lose key player Milena Alessandrini due to injury. Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Gretchen Barretto’s daughter Dominique graduates magna cum laude from California college Sarah Geronimo’s ‘Tala’ enters Billboard’s world digital song sales chart Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next
First Lady calls on citizens to report scholarship scams
First Lady Sandra Granger is calling on the citizens of Guyana to be aware and alert of an ongoing scholarship fraud.The First Lady’s office on Tuesday said it has received reports that residents of Georgetown as well as other parts of Guyana have of recent been receiving calls and text messages where money is being requesting for scholarship opportunities. As such, Mrs Granger is now calling on citizens to be alert and aware of the scam, noting that no such programme currently exists. The First Lady in a statement said “should anyone receive any such request, they should immediately report it to the nearest Police station so that the perpetrators can be brought to justice”.Earlier this month, the Natural Resources Ministry had to send out a statement warning citizens of fake oil and gas courses that were being advertised.The statement indicated that there has been a noticeable increase in institutions of learning offering courses in oil and gas education.However, the Ministry cautioned interested persons to beware of such courses as some were fake. The Ministry urged persons to make careful checks before investing in such educational pursuits.
Velasco continues Spanish reign at Karen
Velasco was certainly in inspired form in the African sun, although his start to the first event of the season was a turbulent one, opening with a bogey at the tenth hole before following that with a birdie at the 11th, a bogey at the 12th and another birdie at the 13th.He steadied the ship, however, and picked up another shot at the 17th to reach the turn in one under par before embarking on a stunning back nine which began with three consecutive birdies and was topped off by back-to-back birdies at the seventh and eighth.“It was a great round to start the season with,” said the Barcelona man. “It wasn’t easy, with the wind and the way the greens are getting firmer but I played pretty solid tee to green and my putter was working really nicely. I was very focussed on the round and kept it going.“To be honest I didn’t look at any scores before I went out so I knew it was a good score but I didn’t see what people were posting out there, so I just kept to my game.“I’ve had a few months off and that was very good for me, to get over last season and get ready for the new season. I have been practicing very well at home and I was very motivated to start competing again and this is a good week to start with.”Velasco has not won since the crowning season of his career, when he claimed two titles en route to finishing top of the 2010 Challenge Tour Rankings – ahead of Thorbjørn Olesen among others – and he will be hoping the experience gained from those victories, as well as the memories of Garcia Pinto’s triumph here last season, will help end that wait this week.“It was very inspiring for all the Spanish players to see Jordi win here last year so we are trying to follow in his footsteps and have another Spanish win,” he said. “It would be very special.“It’s about four years since my last victory so I am working on it and hopefully this year some wins will come. I need to keep focussed on my game, get ready to compete and stay at my best and then the wins will come if I do the right things.“The experience of winning helps and for me it feels nice to be at the top of the leaderboard. It means you are playing well and doing things properly so I cannot wait to be in that position again.”Lasse Jensen, meanwhile, believes that he has some “unfinished business” at this tournament having been beaten in a play-off by Seve Benson at Muthaiga Golf Club, also in Nairobi, two years ago, and the Dane got off to a strong start as he carded a five under par 67 to share second place with Haydn Porteous.The 29 year old finished with a flourish, courtesy of a birdie at the 17th and an eagle at the 18th, to card a five under par 67 and take a share of the lead alongside South African Haydn Porteous.“I started out really well,” said Jensen. “After two holes I was under par and chasing more birdies but nothing happened for a while and I was moving back a little. I was just trying to find my game and find some more birdies. Then I hit a fantastic second shot from the woods at the 15th and that was the game-changer for me.“Then I finished three, three, three and I was suddenly five under so I felt like I got my reward in the end. I’m very pleased with it, it’s a nice start.”“There is a little bit of unfinished business because I was playing really well in that final round in Muthaiga two years ago. I was very comfortable in the lead and Seve just caught me in the last three holes and I missed out in the play-off.“Maybe I can finish one better but I also know there are three rounds to go so I need to tell myself, ‘easy not, there is a lot of golf to be played’, but it’s nice to think those thoughts because it means you are in a good position.”Former US Amateur Champion Byeong-hun An was on his own in fourth place after the Korean posted a four under par 68, while there were 13 players – including former Ryder Cup player Oliver Wilson – a shot further back on three under.– By europeantour.comLEADER BOARD1 VELASCO, Alvaro ESP 18 -6T2 JENSEN, Lasse DEN 18 -5T2 PORTEOUS, Haydn RSA 18 -54 AN, Byeong-hun KOR 18 -4T5 STARK, Oscar SWE 18 -3T5 EDBERG, Pelle SWE 18 -3T5 WILSON, Oliver ENG 18 -3T5 GUERRIER, Julien FRA 18 -3T5 ULRICH, Damian SUI 18 -3T5 WIDEGREN, Pontus SWE 18 -30Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000NAIROBI, Kenya, March 6- Alvaro Velasco is hoping to make it two Spanish winners in as many years at the Barclays Kenya Open after the former Challenge Tour Number One steamed into the first round lead at Karen Country Club courtesy of a six under par 66.Velasco watched on in delight at the Nairobi venue last year when his close friend and fellow Catalonian Jordi Garcia Pinto claimed his maiden victory, and the 32 year old has admitted it proved an inspiration ahead of this week’s edition of one of the Challenge Tour’s longest-running events.
Sterling in another laughing gas storm
Liverpool had held talks with Sterling in April after The Sun had published pictures of the player apparently inhaling laughing gas on a previous occasion.The club has declined to comment on this latest incident.Laughing gas, or nitrous oxide, is legal but Stephen Ream, director of drugs charity Re-Solv, told The Sun: “Once again, we are disappointed to see these images.“Although not the most dangerous substance being misused, there are risks associated with the practice, primarily accidents whilst under the influence.“Mr Sterling, whether he likes it or not, is a role model for young people and his actions are important. To see images of him participating in this activity again is very poor.“Inhaling any gas for intoxication carries risks.”Raheem Sterling, who played for England in their victory away to Slovenia on Sunday, is a target for Manchester City.The controversy comes amid uncertainty over Sterling’s future.Sources told ESPN FC on Wednesday that City had submitted a final bid worth up to £40 million for Sterling, whose agent has said he will not sign a contract extension at Liverpool.However, Sky Sports has reported that Liverpool will reject the bid as they are apparently seeking closer to £50 million for a player whose current deal has two years to run.Liverpool legend Robbie Fowler has told Sterling he should stay at Anfield as he would be “crazy to go at this stage in his development.”“It’s obvious Raheem has been confused by what’s happened over the last few months, but I still believe the right thing for his development is to stay, and I hope for his sake he can somehow see that,” he said in the Daily Mirror.“I still think there is time to back away from this. These things seem to get a momentum and you think you have no options, but if he were to take a step back and find a way of staying at Liverpool, I think the fans would embrace that.“I’m not having a go at him, he’s a kid and when things like this happen it can scramble your brain, but I’m saying that he can still stay at Liverpool — even now — and it’s the best place for him.”He added: “One of things you have to think about as a young player is which managers have a track record of developing emerging talent. Brendan Rodgers has proved he has, but have City shown any capacity to do that?“Sometimes it’s difficult to see things clearly in these situations, but if Raheem looks back on this whole episode when he’s older, I reckon he’ll think the same.“You have to do what’s best for your career over the long term, and I think everyone in football believes it would be best for him if he stayed a bit longer.”-By Soccernet.com0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Raheem Sterling arrives at Liverpool end of season dinner. PHOTO/FileLONDON, June 18- Liverpool star Raheem Sterling is at the centre of a new laughing gas controversy, The Sun has reported.The newspaper featured Sterling on its front page on Thursday after obtaining a video of the England international, a transfer target for Manchester City, in which he appears to take the legal high as he inhales from a balloon before laughing.
Hot weather forecast for region over holiday
Haralson said aside from using precautions to prevent fires, vacationers should take care to keep hydrated and cool as temperatures soar this week. firstname.lastname@example.org (626) 962-8811, Ext. 2236160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! • Photo Gallery: Staying cool Extremely dry conditions coupled with high temperatures and gusty winds prompted fire officials to urge extra caution Monday as the Fourth of July celebrations with fireworks and outdoor recreation approaches. Officials from the National Weather Service said a Red Flag warning, signifying critical fire weather conditions, will be in effect in the Angeles National Forest until 6 p.m. Thursday, with temperatures in the hundreds throughout the county on Independence Day. “Try to avoid going out during the hottest times of the day,” said L.A. County Fire Inspector Ron Haralson. “Stay in the shade.” He also advised planning activities for either the early morning or late afternoon hours, instead of mid-day, and added the elderly and very young should be watched carefully for signs of dehydration. “We’ll definitely increase our staffing, because our call volume goes up this time of year,” Haralson said. Stuart Seto, NWS weather specialist, said parents should be sure to supervise children and have a bucket of water nearby. While “Safe and Sane” fireworks are permitted in certain cities and are approved by the state fire marshal, fire and weather officials said going to see a professional show might be a safer alternative to lighting them at home. “If you’re going to use the Safe and Sane, if your city allows them, you need to be very careful,” he said. “We have to remember that even though they are Safe and Sane, they are still fireworks.”
Officials weigh boom in pot shops
Detectives continue molestation probe after Kurtz arrested
160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Police who arrested a former Balboa Park Recreation Center camp director on suspicion of molesting three children say they are still looking for other youngsters who might have been victimized. Daniel Craig Kurtz, 35, of North Hollywood was arrested July 18 on suspicion of molesting three girls, ages 8 through 10, at a movie theater and overnight sleepovers over a period of three years. “Based on Kurtz’s prior involvement with children, we believe there may be additional victims who have not come forward,” said Detective Cynthia Dragun of the Los Angeles Police Department’s Devonshire Division. “It is our hope that releasing his photograph will assist in locating any other victims and/or witnesses. It is believed that he is still working with children in some capacity.” Kurtz, currently in charge of the San Fernando Valley Club Volleyball team, will be arraigned today in San Fernando Superior Court. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWhy these photogenic dumplings are popping up in Los AngelesHe worked at the Balboa Park Recreation Center from December 2002 to August 2005. He was fired in September 2005. Before working at the center, he worked as a physical-education teacher at Louisville High School in Woodland Hills, an all-girls private school, and at Our Lady of Grace School in Encino. Anyone with information or who might know of a victim can call Dragun or Detective Kathy Haskins at 832-0609 or the 24-hour toll-free detective hotline at (877) LAW-FULL. email@example.com (818) 713-3699
Chelsea to battle Man United for Bale? Sanchez agrees Arsenal stay? GOSSIP
Here are the top transfer-related stories in Monday’s newspapers…Chelsea have emerged as serious contenders to Manchester United in the race to lure Gareth Bale away from Real Madrid. The Welsh superstar could be on his way out of Real, especially if they land French sensation Kylian Mbappe, who is keen to quit Monaco. (Daily Express)Jose Mourinho has asked Manchester United chiefs to secure a move for Monaco star Fabinho. The Manchester United boss is eager to sign another player before the transfer window shuts later this month and has targeted Fabinho, a full-back or midfielder. (Daily Express)Alexis Sanchez is ready to accept Arsenal’s hardline stance and see out the final year of his contract. Gunners boss Arsene Wenger has insisted that he has the backing of the club’s board to force Sanchez to stay despite risking losing him for nothing when his deal expires next summer. But Sanchez is dropping hints to his team mates and friends that he is now resigned to staying and leaving as a free agent when he is likely to get an even more lucrative contract. (Daily Mirror)Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has said more players will be leaving the club before the end of the transfer window after admitting his squad is too big. Olivier Giroud has been linked with a move away from the Emirates, while there are also doubts over the future of midfielder Jack Wilshere. (Daily Telegraph)Jurgen Klopp is ready to put his trust in his current centre-backs to provide the backbone in a title-challenging team. The Reds have so far been frustrated in their attempts to sign £60million-rated central defender Virgil van Dijk and are ready to stick with what they have got. (Daily Mirror)David Silva is targeting a return to Spain when his contract with Manchester City expires. Silva would be able to leave City on a free in June 2019 and his plan is to return home to see out his playing days at Las Palmas. (AS)Stoke City have agreed a three year deal for Schalke forward Jean-Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting. The Hamburg-born Cameroon international is out of contract and will join on a free transfer. (Daily Mail)Brighton are closing in on a £3.5million swoop for PSV midfielder Davy Propper. Talks between the two clubs are at advanced stage with the Seagulls confident of sealing the Holland international’s capture before their Premier League opener against Manchester City. (Daily Mail)
Body Found Along Walking Trail in Salem Early Tuesday
At approximately 1a Tuesday morning, the Salem Police Department responded to a 911 call about a non-responsive male found along the walking trail in Salem.Brandon Booker, 34, New Albany was found dead from an apparent self-strangulation along the walking trail near the Salem Middle School. He was discovered by his girlfriend from Salem. Police said she has a North Main Street address. WSLM will have more details when they become available.